Purpose: The church office assistant organizes the activities and functions of the church office, coordinates the flow of information to the senior pastor and/or pastoral staff, and provides clerical support services for the senior pastor and/or pastoral staff when needed. Supports and keeps a fluid flow of various ministries throughout the church.
Description of Duties:
Office Management, Organization, and Finances
- Organize and manage the day-to-day activities of the church office and ensure the efficiency of the office's operations.
- Ensure a pleasing atmosphere for visitors, church members, and staff members.
- Answer questions and provide information concerning church functions and activities.
- Manage and enter the tithes and offerings.
Administration / Support Ministries
- Greet office visitors and answer church telephone.
- Take messages, or refer callers to appropriate pastor or staff member (or lay leader) in various areas of ministry.
- Create / shop for the weekly needs for all ministries.
Clerical and Secretarial Support for Pastor Staff
- Schedule and arrange appointments, meetings, conferences, and travel accommodations.
- Provide clerical and secretarial support for pastor or pastoral staff.
- Perform research and special projects as assigned.
Computer and Information Management
- Use word processing or page layout software to create printed materials, such as reports, correspondence, bulletins, church newsletters, and other forms with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Compile and interpret information from various sources and prepare reports when requested.
- Operate a personal computer and related equipment (such as printer and scanner).
- Operate other office equipment, including photocopier, fax machine, and calculator.
- Utilize software for word processing, database management, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Attend the weekly staff meeting and one-on-one with direct supervisor.
- Assist in any of the needs of the lead pastor.
The time required for this job is 16 - 24 hours per week,
to be accomplished over 3 - 4 work days.
Training and Resources:
Work alongside previous office assistant for several weeks; attend workshops and seminars as needed for computer software training, telephone system training, and office equipment training.
Qualifications and Guidelines:
- Basic understanding of office organization and operations.
- Good awareness of office equipment and methods.
- Basic knowledge of church governmental structure.
- Know principles of preparing correspondence, forms, reports, etc.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of principles and procedures of record-keeping.
- Good English, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary skills.
- Able to perform services independently and without direct supervision.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Skills to create and maintain record-keeping and filing systems.
- Good 'people' skills for relating to senior pastor, pastoral staff, co-workers and other volunteers, extended church staff, church members, and the general public.
- Good team player and fun to be around.
Benefits to the Worker:
The office assistant has the opportunity to be deeply involved in the ministry of the church and its outreach to the community; opportunity to get to know the members of the congregation better; help give a positive first impression of the church; assist the senior pastor and/or pastoral staff in performing their ministries efficiently and efectively.
Simply email email@example.com your resume and cover letter, and we'll take it from there! Easy as that.